burner flame picture


ab property sevices logo


Home About Us Gas Services Contact Us Gas Safe Register Special Offers
gas safe logo and number
i.gram CP42  Gas inspection

P42 Commercial Gas Safety Inspections

You probably already know that under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 you have a legal duty to make sure that any gas equipment on your premises is checked and certified by a gas safe qualified engineer once every year.

Commercial kitchens need a gas safety inspection by a gas registered company in order to make sure that every appliance is certified safe for use, keeping catering premises safe and efficient for everyone.

What is a CP42 certificate?

CP42: Commercial Gas Safety Inspection (non-domestic) is the official name for a safety certificate that is issued annually by a registered Gas Safe engineer to cover all installation and appliances in your kitchen.

The inspection should include all gas appliances, pipework, extraction systems and gas interlock systems (if you have it fitted). The inspection will make sure that all details are covered, for example that only smoke detectors designed for a commercial catering environment are installed and that they are linked to an automatic gas shut off system.

The list of safety checks is set down by law and, because they are vitally important, you will need to prove that you are up to date with your checks for insurance purposes. If anything should happen to your premises, failure to obtain an up-to-date gas certificate and keep a copy on the premises will probably invalidate your insurance policy.

If you don’t have an up-to-date CP42 then not only are you potentially uninsured and putting the health and safety of your employees and customers at risk, but you could also find yourself being prosecuted under Regulation 35 of the “Duties of Employers and self-employed persons” of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

Who needs a CP42 Certificate?

The law places duties on the responsible person (employer) to ensure that gas appliances, installations, pipe works or flues are maintained in a safe condition. If your premises are leased, your landlord also has a duty to ensure that all appliances and flues are checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Also, he or she must supply you with a copy of the gas safety record within 28 days of the inspection, so that you can keep it on the premises.

If you’re not sure whose responsibility the gas certificate is in your case then check your lease, as there will quite likely be a clause transferring responsibility for the certificate to you.

How often do I need one?

You need to have your premises inspected and a new certificate issued every 12 months by law.

Can AB Property Services nw ltd Help Me Get My CP42?

Of course we can! All of our team are registered Gas Safe engineers, carry out the type of inspection and work needed by a commercial catering establishment. If you need any more information on how to go about getting your premises an up-to-date commercial gas safety certificate, or would like to talk to one of our engineers about booking an inspection, then contact us on 07928400291 or email us today.